Lung cancer is the #1 cancer killer in the U.S. Most cases occur with no symptoms. If detected early, over 80% of the lung cancer deaths could be prevented. CT Lung Screening is one of the easiest screening exams a patient can have. It’s quick and easy, completely painless and results in a minimal amount of radiation exposure. The entire process takes a matter of minutes!
WHO IS ELIGIBLE FOR CT LUNG SCREENING?
- Individuals between the ages of 55 and 77 years old
- Currently a smoker or have quit within the past 15 years
- Smoked at least a pack of cigarettes a day for 30+ years
- Asymptomatic (without signs or symptoms of lung cancer)
Studies have determined that the benefits of screening, weighing the risk to benefit ratio, was only found in the specific eligible screening population listed above. In lower risk patients, there is a broader chance of unnecessary work up of findings, radiation exposure, and cost of any extra studies that may be required to work up incidental findings.
HOW DO I GET A CT LUNG SCREENING?
- Intermountain Medical Imaging requires an order with criteria attestation for this procedure from a licensed medical provider.
- Talk with your healthcare provider to see if this screening is right for you. Providers can order directly through the IMI online ordering system by selecting the CT lung screening order form or by contacting us directly.
(The new eligible criteria above is effective as of April 1st, 2015)